Friday, November 16, 2012

January White and Some More Works in Progress!

Good news! I finished my "January White" piece :D I'm quite excited about how she turned out. I had an awesome reference photo I used from deviantArt (I'll let you know her name as soon as I find it again!) so hooray, another small painting for sale ($45 for the original!)


So my mom and I went to a quilt shop today and I just about GEEKED OUT over the amount of Batiks they had there. Not sure what Batiks are?? LET ME TELL YOU. It's a process where you dye a piece of cloth, then use wax to blot out shapes where you want the cloth to stay that first color. Then, you dye the cloth a second, darker color. Once you're done with all your dyeing, you remove the wax and it will leave a really cool multi-layer, multi-texture print. If that's confusing, just google it. Trust me it's awesome. So I got a few swatches and was inspired to go back and try some of those methods on paper (actually basically just what I've been doing but in brighter colors haha.)

So here I have a few works in progress I'll show you with some different techniques I've used. 

This is a work in progress portrait I'm doing. I did the background by laying plastic wrap onto a wet, colored piece of watercolor paper. I let it dry overnight, then removed the plastic wrap and got a really cool effect that works great for fabric texture. I'm doing this piece in a completely different color scheme which I'm really excited about. I think it will pose some interesting challenges.

Also! I've started making some bookmarks. They're all individually painted and will have some sort of doodle on them. I'll be selling them for $5 (so don't expect, like, a masterpiece or anything) in my Etsy shop. I'm hoping to get a whole slew of them done in time for Black Friday (which is a week from today already??!?!!?!) So if you're interested in getting a bookmark, let me know and I shall reserve one for you!

and last but not least: here's a picture of what my desk looks like ALL THE TIME. so many things going on. hahaha.







No comments:

Post a Comment