Friday, April 19, 2013

April Showers

WAHHH It's been a month since my last update?! I do sincerely apologize. My only excuse is I get sidetracked easily. That and I've been working on several projects, which seem to eat up whatever time I have that isn't spent making delicious coffee. So let me fill you in on the past month:

I kicked off my 100 Drawings Challenge, which is basically..I'm trying to do 100 drawings in a month. So far I've got about 60. Schmerrrrr. The reason I decided to take this on is so I could help raise money for a mission trip to North Dakota. Well. I've been making drawings...but it seems like no one's been buying. Which in all honesty, is rather discouraging. I literally just have a giant pile of unsold art sitting on my desk, just taunting me. But. That's not really the point of this project.

The point was to raise money for this mission trip. I've been doing it since I was 13, and it really means a lot to me. Each summer growing up I'd take a week and go to North Dakota with a group from church, and we'd spend the week playing with underprivileged kids, giving them snacks and play time and stories, as well as sending construction teams around the reservation to help elderly families get some badly needed repairs done on their homes.

I have a ton of respect for the Native American culture, and I just love the people I've met. I have made some amazing friends and so many great memories, and I want this 100 Drawings Challenge to be a way for me to use my art for a good cause. 50% of the profits on these drawings will go to the mission team, so they can pay for things like lodging, supplies, and resources to help the Native Americans of Spirit Lake Reservation in North Dakota. So help me SPREAD THE WORRRRRD.

Along these lines, sort of. During the process of doing these 100 Drawings, I realized I needed something a little more immediate than watercolor (plus it really hated the paper I was working on) and that's when I DISCOVERED COPIC MARKERS. Seriously guys. These things are AMAZING. First of all, I love the way they smell. I love the way they're shaped, the way they color. Just seriously all-around fantastic. Though it pains me to pay upwards of $7 or $8 for each one. That's what COUPONS are for!! Soooo that's where my tips have been going for the past several weeks.

Alright enough jibber-jabber! Onto some art!

Oh one more thing: My awesome dad got my scanner running again (stupid freaking driver downloads, they really irk me) and I more or less figured out the settings, so I can scan pictures now! YAAAAAAY!

No I'm not going to post all 60 of my drawings here. I'll post a few throughout the next few days though. Some of my personal faves and whatnot. Enjoy!
"Alice," Copics and ink. FOR SALE



"Centaur," because I still love Fantasia after all these years. FOR SALE

"Collars," nothing like some good old fashion illustration :) FOR SALE

"Dean II," much better than my first Dean drawing. Dear God I love his face. FOR SALE

"Rogers," because I am just in love with an old-fashioned guy in uniform. Yes, sir. FOR SALE

"Flowers," actually the first drawing I did in markers :D :D FOR SALE

"Hair Bow," playing with some negative space. FOR SALE

"Herald," I now own this iPod skin. I think this is seriously the cutest thing
I've ever drawn and I love it to pieces. FOR SALE



"Hermione," who actually looks like a brunette Rapunzel but whatever.
I was practicing with some more cartoon-y styles. FOR SALE

"Jenna," in honor of the Doctor's new companion. FOR SALE





"Purple," playing with skin tones. :) Love these markers. FOR SALE

"Golden Hair," just a cute illustration of Rapunzel brushing her hair. FOR SALE


"Roses," probably my favorite of the 100 Drawings to date.
FOR SALE

"Faun." I love forest creatures, or really anything with antlers/horns.

"Scheherezade," because I'm reading Arabian Nights. FOR SALE



"Mushrooms." Hooray for retro things! And polka-dots! FOR SALE



"Woodland Queen," which I was going to color, but I might just leave like this because I like it. FOR SALE
Soooo. There are a few of the things I've been up to recently. I've got a lot more in store, if I can just find the motivation to keep going! haha. For now though, I have to get to my bed. I just know it's missing me, and I'm sure it's thinking about me as much as I'm thinking about it. So I shall bid you all good night, my lovelies!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I can totally relate to this with my writing. It's hard to put so much heart, soul, and effort into your craft and then not make many sales. I know you paint/draw/create because you love it, not primarily for the money, but it can get discouraging to be an artist and not be able to share your work with others. I will spend up to a year working on a book and be so excited about it and when sales are slow, it's disheartening. Just keep going. You're doing it for a great cause! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete